In my quest to figure out exactly what the original formula is, one thing I haven't figured out is why they used Kerosene in the mixture. It seems like it was a very small part of the mixture, something like 7% by volume.
But what was the point? Did it act as a preservative, or enhance the flow, or help to bind everything together?
Tried a 52oz globe this time, pretty happy with the results so far. flows beautifully, but runs a bit hot. I made this one just using kerosene, perc, paraffin, propylene glycol, and distilled water plus some candle dye for the wax. I think im going to leave the wax transparent on this one, I like how it looks.
Nice! I'm glad to see someone jumping in. If you do change your mind about wanting the wax to be transparent you can add some white dye and it will turn opaque.
gah! I spoke too soon. the day after I took this picture I got home and the lamp was all cloudy. I think I may have added too much propylene glycol, as theres a fine suspension of white particulate in the lamp. I'm going to try refilling it and using a bit of glycerin in addition to the glycol. the wax is fine, so I'll only be replacing the liquid thankfully.
Kerosene may have caused the clouding.