Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Broken globe on torchiere floor lamp! Please help me find a suitable replacement!

Greetings everyone!  (This is my first post)

I have a torchiere floor lamp that I got from Walmart a few years ago and absolutely love it.  It's the same model as this one:

(picture credit goes to "Mr MaGoo" https://oozinggoo.ning.com/photo/torchiere-floor-lamp?context=user)

I'll spare you the story of how it happened, but the top of my globe is now broken and I need to find a replacement.  It doesn't have to be the same model or even functional (I can gookit it), just as long as it fits.  I also don't mind if the replacement globe flares out on the sides, as long as it sits securely in the socket.  Fitting into the decorative plastic top cone would be a plus, but is not essential.  One more important note: it's not shown in the pictures, but there is a metal arm that holds up the top portion of the lamp, so the globe is not structural to the torchiere.

Here are the measurements of the original globe:

-Width of base:  2 and 7/8 inches / 7.3 cm

-Depth of the lamp "socket" that holds it above the bulb: 5/8 inches / 1.5 cm

-Height of globe (including beer bottle-style cap, but not the outer metal cap or decorative cone): 10.5 inches / 26.7 cm

Any ideas?  Is there another, more common model of lava lamp with a globe that would be compatible?

Would a wine bottle work?  It seems to be a fairly common bottle diameter and I've found a couple that might fit, but they would have less capacity than the original and I'm not sure if they're up to the temperature stress.

Thanks!

Shawn

Here's another of Mr MaGoo's pictures showing the shape of the globe:

Views: 5480

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Either way, I have success in replacing the top socket. And I will get fluid activity in the globe one way or another. Goo kit or New creative solutions until I can afford a goo kit. Since I'm broke now. But here is a new pic for everyone. And thank you all for your help and support. 

Attachments:

That's odd yours is tagged for 25 watt...mine is 40 watt as well.  I don't think the 25 is getting it hot enough to flow.

I switched from the 25 watt to a 40 watt and got wax movement. Thank you for your help. I also had to take a hair dryer to the top to unstick the wax from the glass. All I have to do now is get rid of all these darn bubbles. Lets hope this is the last of my problems. Until I re-goo it just for the experience and the change in colors. 

I suspended my tracker and can not see your picture still. Help!

Well, I do have one more little problem. I was working on getting the bubbles out and I noticed a dark red ring around the top just below the cap. And a crack around the middle of the cap. So, it appears I have a little leak. And an odd smell on my hands. Just my kinda luck. So any ideas on where to get a new cap? Here is a copy of the previous picture I posted and the second is a pic of the cap. Again, thanks for all of the help and encouragement.

Attachments:

If I am not mistaken, I tossed that China crap cap and kept the bottle cap when I opened mine.  What you can do once you have CAREFULLY pried the cap off is put it back in place and use a small hose clamp and gently and cautiously re-tighten the clamp on the cap to seal the cap back on the bottle.  Let us know how that goes and don't forget the pics!

Thanks Mr.MaGoo, I'm just afraid of it not having another cap under the one I see. but if you say there is, I will trust you. I will get a hose clamp and follow your directions. And yes, I will take lots of pics. I've had lots of issues with wax sticking to the glass, so I think I'm going to clean the globe while I have the lid off. This has turned into quite the project. Eventually I do want to do the whole Goo kit thing. 

Before you pop your top, let me take a couple pictures of mine so you can see what your up against.  Was under the impression that you had already removed top once. Give me a few hours.  At my brothers today for birthday, will take a couple of pics and post when I get back in.

Ericka, here is pic of torchiere top. Has the metal cap glued over the bottle cap. Guess you could loosen lip of metal cap, once lip is freed, heat with hair dry warming glue or pour boiling water over just the metal cap to loosen and warm glue to remove cap. This will then expose the bottle cap for removal and access into globe.  Hope this helps.

Sorry it has taken so long for me to reply. Thank you so much for your picture. and exactly as expected, mine looks just like yours. Imagine that! Much to my surprise it was not leaking. however it looks like some moisture had gotten under the aluminum cap and got to the inner bottle cap creating a bit of rust but not a big issue. Everything is still sealed nicely. so I did put the aluminum one back on it just for the heck of it. I have an issue with wax sticking to the glass at the top, and I am working on solving that without opening the glob. I'm starting to think 45W is a little to hot for my globe, I don't know much about dimmers, but someone mentioned it earlier.. help?

First pic is to show the lid it's self. 

Second is to show the mass amount of lava that lives at the top.

Attachments:

Nice job taking off your top! UHM, what I meant to say was, great job removing china cap and exposing  the bottle top underneath! Doh!  You know what I am trying to say.  Dimmers are good too, actually have this one on a dimmer also.  You can check either ebay or amazon for in-line dimmers.  The one I am using you plug it into the wall-->then dimmer switch-->then plug at end-->plug from lava lamp, so you use the dimmer switch that is on the dimmer line and you dim the whole lamp.  Pretty easy setup.  Well, keep us up to date!

Thanks! I will make sure to keep you up to date. It may be a while before I get that dimmer. The lamp has sadly been put on the back burner for now. Other obligations have come up. I will let you know how it goes. In the mean time I am still working unsticking the wax from the top.  I'll let you know how it goes. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service