Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Hey all,

I really need some input here with my Giant I can't seem to figure this one out. Ok so this Giant of mine is driving me nuts it's in pristine condition and I want it to flow like it is but no dice! The flow seems to start out fine but then after about an hour or so it does this (see attachment). Overheating? not so sure but possibly. I have tried everything dimmer,different bases, bulbs, I even made a custom heat ring for it out of a 32oz base. So the only thing left to do I think is to try a different coil but I do not wanna open this lamp up if I don't have to. But if I do have to resort to this to get it to flow I will. This is SUCH a beautiful lamp and if it would flow properly it would be absolutely stunning! Oh by the way the heat ring is out of it now and the wax does not come of the coil at all. 

Views: 837

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thats the whole point. I've done this on stubborn grandes and giants and it usually helps kick the flow into gear.

Agree with Dr. WHAT?!  Bring that bulb closer, then will actually make the dimmer more useful at this new point. Try it, you might like it! :)

The globe won't fit on the base with the higher bulb. I have been playing with my custom heat ring and dimmer. The lamp seems to be responding better but the wax did come of the coil once. I'll y'all posted.

When my goo kits do that or I dim my vintage lamps too much they do that, so i'm gonna say not enough heat.

what does the lamp do when you dim it after the wax hovers in the middle of the globe?

another trick that may work is to "simmer" the wax.  heat it up to where the wax is liquid, then turn the dimmer on so that the wax stays in a liquid state but doesn't flow at all.  leave it like this 24 hours or so.  this fixed a flow issue on a grande i have.  it's just something else to try before opening that beautiful globe up!  good luck!!!

When I dim it down it usually just shoots up balls and a long thin column from the bottom but that depends on how much I dim it. The lamp respons better at full blast I do know these lamps need a lot of heat to get going. However I stared to get some much improved flow yesterday but not a 100%. I looked back at an old discussion of mine in 2009 about this lamp and Lamphead told me that it might need longer run times under it belt to get it going. He said he had the same issue with one of his Giants and it took a 36+ hour run to get to finally flow. Seems the more I run it the better but I would have thought by know it would be broken in but maybe not like i said this lamp was not used much in its 15-16 year life. But thanks Brad I will try to simmer it for 24 hours or so I'll keep ya updated. I have the lamp off now and I'm gonna let it rest a day of so.

Brad said:

what does the lamp do when you dim it after the wax hovers in the middle of the globe?

another trick that may work is to "simmer" the wax.  heat it up to where the wax is liquid, then turn the dimmer on so that the wax stays in a liquid state but doesn't flow at all.  leave it like this 24 hours or so.  this fixed a flow issue on a grande i have.  it's just something else to try before opening that beautiful globe up!  good luck!!!

that's great, tim.  these lamps are very sensitive to changes in heat - more in some than others.  i don't know how much you dim the lamp by, but perhaps you could start at full strength and then just barely back it off until you obtain the flow that is appealing to you.  when i say just barely, i mean you make an adjustment on the dimmer but don't necessarily see the bulb dim.

Thanks for all the info Brad! I'm gonna turn the lamp on in the morning and play with it a little more. I'll keep ya posted.

Brad said:

that's great, tim.  these lamps are very sensitive to changes in heat - more in some than others.  i don't know how much you dim the lamp by, but perhaps you could start at full strength and then just barely back it off until you obtain the flow that is appealing to you.  when i say just barely, i mean you make an adjustment on the dimmer but don't necessarily see the bulb dim.

Thanks also Carol! Giants need more heat but when they do finally get going full flow WOW!

Carol said:

When my goo kits do that or I dim my vintage lamps too much they do that, so i'm gonna say not enough heat.

Im reading the whole thread thinking to myself "this lamp just needs a good running" and then I see your post LOL. I would suggest again to fire it up and let it run. Remove the dimmer and run it straight full blast, I have never seen a Giant overheat so I wouldn't worry about hurting it. Some of these lamps are just stubborn and need a good run to get them going.

There is definitely nothing wrong with it so I would not open the lamp up. Its still fresh and needs to be broken in.

Tim said:

When I dim it down it usually just shoots up balls and a long thin column from the bottom but that depends on how much I dim it. The lamp respons better at full blast I do know these lamps need a lot of heat to get going. However I stared to get some much improved flow yesterday but not a 100%. I looked back at an old discussion of mine in 2009 about this lamp and Lamphead told me that it might need longer run times under it belt to get it going. He said he had the same issue with one of his Giants and it took a 36+ hour run to get to finally flow. Seems the more I run it the better but I would have thought by know it would be broken in but maybe not like i said this lamp was not used much in its 15-16 year life. But thanks Brad I will try to simmer it for 24 hours or so I'll keep ya updated. I have the lamp off now and I'm gonna let it rest a day of so.

Ok thanks again Lamphead for your info I will let it run. I just would have thought by now that it would be broken in but you have more experience with these lamps so I will definitely take your advice. Giants are tuffer than I thought but that's a good thing lol. I remember seeing these lamps back in the day in the front window at my local Spencer's and thinking I would never pay $300 for a lava lamp! However now I've completely changed my tune lol. If I could go back I would buy one in every color!! LOL. But I'm sure im not the only one who thinks that!

LampHead said:

Im reading the whole thread thinking to myself "this lamp just needs a good running" and then I see your post LOL. I would suggest again to fire it up and let it run. Remove the dimmer and run it straight full blast, I have never seen a Giant overheat so I wouldn't worry about hurting it. Some of these lamps are just stubborn and need a good run to get them going.

There is definitely nothing wrong with it so I would not open the lamp up. Its still fresh and needs to be broken in.

Tim said:

Good news! The Giant flow has improved but still not 100% so i'm  still working on more run times and the flow continues to improve!! These lamps are AMAZING!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service