Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I Can Take No More - Colossus Goo Kit Project (Sorta')

I've tried different coils, removing the small coil, putting in new custom coils, slowly warming the wax for weeks - still my Purple/Pink has not responded.  

It is just too sensitive to temperature changes in its environment - meaning it only runs well in a very narrow temperature range.  I'm convinced its the bloody wax.

So, I've drained the liquid, and I'm in the process of melting the wax on the base.  My plan is to goo kit it with clear liquid and that pretty neon blue everyone likes so much.  This should be fun!

Views: 14673

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm with you Brad (and you, too, Trevor).  I measured the specific gravity of the LL Colossus liquid a week or so back, and it's 1.010.  So, pretty close to water.  We'll see...

And thanks to all for your help and attention.  I appreciate it!  Now, off to work!

Brad said:

sounds like a good plan.  i'm curious to know if the combined LL/MT wax but just LL liquid will flow without further modification.  the LL wax has a higher specific gravity than distilled water (obviously) so I think the wax might hover midway.  the mixture may require more distilled water to flow properly.  just a prediction, but of course I hope it works perfectly on the first run!

I hope this works, Kirk and love those spikes.  Can't wait to see it this evening when you get home.  Fingers crossed, my friend!

ITs looking awesome can't wait to see it when you get back home

good call.  seems close enough to 1, but the SG tolerance range for wax to flow is fairly low, so it will be interesting to see what happens. easy fix though - just add more DI water.  good luck!

Kirk said:

I'm with you Brad (and you, too, Trevor).  I measured the specific gravity of the LL Colossus liquid a week or so back, and it's 1.010.  So, pretty close to water.  We'll see...

And thanks to all for your help and attention.  I appreciate it!  Now, off to work!

Brad said:

sounds like a good plan.  i'm curious to know if the combined LL/MT wax but just LL liquid will flow without further modification.  the LL wax has a higher specific gravity than distilled water (obviously) so I think the wax might hover midway.  the mixture may require more distilled water to flow properly.  just a prediction, but of course I hope it works perfectly on the first run!

Update:

Well, it didn't have any problem rising!  It's all bunched at the top, and nothing remains on the coils.  Remember, it has a 250w bulb in it.  I came home for lunch and turned it down a little - guess not enough.  I pushed the cap down and it all went to the bottom.  I have a fan on it now - cooling it down.  I'll put the 200w bulb in it as soon as it cools down and try again.  Any suggestions?

Refill it with water and add salt to adjust the flow. It is simply not going to work with the original formula.

Those were my thoughts guys.  I think as a first step, I'll remove a third of the liquid and replace it with distilled water, and go from there.  Thanks!

As far as advice goes, Kirk, I'll leave that to you experts, but I'm still leading the "cheers!"  :-)    Fingers crossed!!

Thanks, Libby!

:-)  My pleasure!   I'm enjoying the show!

YEah doing great just need to get the right consistancy

i agree with this, but it may also work by removing some of the LL liquid and replacing with DI water.  it will dilute the color though, but you can add some neon purple food coloring to get it back the way you like it.

Autumn said:

Refill it with water and add salt to adjust the flow. It is simply not going to work with the original formula.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service