Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

MASSIVE FIBER OPTIC SCORE ON EBAY!! NEW OLD STOCk!

Hey everyone, I just wanted to let everyone know to grab your wallet and head over to eBay! A seller (Cindy) wonderful lady! Anyhow she came across a massive buy on a fiber optic lamp that has the super long fiber optic sprays and are full. They are plastic fibers but display beautifully! They have a cooling fan and are lit with a 35 watt halogen bulb, the fibers and color wheel rotate. She has a video that demonstrates the motion of the lamp on YouTube. Pictures and videos hardly do this lamp Justice! I have prior experience with these lamps and they are legit! I even can custom make color wheels for them like I did on the one I had a few years back. Anyhow. She has these things priced Right and at a steal honestly and will give a discount if buying more than one! I bought two and almost bought more! She has aprox 200 units brand new!! I am attaching a link to the listing and some of my photos of the spray. Get them while they last! Oh and please, if you do decide to purchase from her. PLEASE message her in eBay mentioning my name (Joe) sent me over from the Oozing Goo forum. Thanks guys! Oh and one of the pictures you see of the spray was me setting the spray in a Sunburst base. These sprays have a fat base and will not work on a Sunburst, I just wanted you to see the fullness! If you don't like the silver base you can spray paint it Black like I did the one I had years ago and in the one pictured in this discussion 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352942984112 

Views: 1397

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Model makers use similar fibre to light up their models.
The 'spray of fiber'  is bunched up, in a similar manner to this lamp, inside a short 'tube'.
They 'stuff' an LED in the other end of the tube.
and then 'light it up'.
You could use a solid color LED...or special 'color changing' LED.

A color wheel could be made with a 3d printer and the correct type of plastic.

Pic without baffle on one lamp.
20200210_160803_resized.jpg

sorry guys, previous pic would not load just click on link and you will see picture with baffle in place, cuts the diffuse white light from glowing out of the top of lamp.
Mr MaGoo said:

Mr MaGoo said:

Yup did that both still going one clockwise and the other counter clockwise.  I did take them apart and lubricate the motor shaft and small gear above the color wheel, as well as the large spray drive gear.  I used liquid bearing brand synthetic lube, wont gum up and thicken over time and does not attract dust, great stuff.  Once everything lubed up, I am not getting the fast then slow movement in the lamp.  Now constant slow movement noted.

I believe that since the holder for the spray is plastic and the housing is plastic,  the spray holder snaps into the housing and rotates plastic on plastic, anything that can reduce that friction would be a good thing.  Guess the plastic spray holder is binding up on the housing and the motor continues on and jerks forward when it over comes the friction of the plastic on plastic contact, would think this would lead to premature wear of that motor and shortly if left to continue, its demise.  Will post some pics shortly of areas and what base unit without shell looks like.

MaGoo 

This is base and oil  I used and oiling points on base, small gear ...This is looking down into the top of the cover where spray is inser...This is the underside of the top cover looking at adapter where the...Pic 1 of lamp running and below pic2 same lamp.  Have two at this t...

As promised here's my update on the two Millennium 2000 lamps I purchased. I received two matching lamps and the fibers are both fine.  Long enough that they nearly touch the surface when the lamp spins. When you click the lamp on it goes clockwise until you turn off and when you turn it back on it spins the opposite direction.  Yes- the lamps does speed up for a couple of seconds and resumes normal rotation as part of it's charm. The lamp does this is to create a firework finale effect when the lamps rotating.   I took the time to separate most of the fibers which took a little time but well worth the effort.  These lamps have a lot of ultra thin fibers so treat them gently but know they do not break like the vintage glass fibers. If I see a couple of fibers together I gently run my fingers through them so they separate and the more I do this the more the lamp ROCKS. I'm very pleased with my purchases.  The color wheel as mentioned prior is fantastic. It's clear that it was made to celebrate the year 2000. I'm guessing this is why you only saw them available in 1999 until the New Year 2000.  A true collectible for any fiber optic lamp collector.  I'm wondering if the Seller purchased a whole palette of them or something and would love to hear the back story of how she attained so many.  I'm guessing they did not have enough time to get them to market before the new millennium rang in and by the time they did it was too late and only a few sold before they were pulled from shelves to welcome new 2001 merchandise.  

So are these glass sprays with plastic bases?

I have one coming! Thanks for the heads up, Joe! I can't wait to get mine. :) I will post pics when I get mine.

There are plastic sprays with plastic bases.  But the spray diameter is almost like glass sprays, they do conduct light well and have great movement unlike, the larger diameter fibers we are used to seeing on the crap out and for the past few years.  Very worth buying if still available!

MaGoo!

Soylent Green said:

So are these glass sprays with plastic bases?

I got mine today and it's awesome! Well worth the price. They are HUGE lamps!

I am so happy you decided to pick one up, I picked up two and may pick up more while she still has them. The price is perfect on these!! Definitely is more impressive in person than in the photos, give it time and the fibers will calm down after being on display, you may need to seperate and help some of them out as these have been in storage for over 20 years!!

Erin said:

I got mine today and it's awesome! Well worth the price. They are HUGE lamps!

I am so glad you posted this thread, otherwise I might have not picked up on this lamp. It's really gorgeous in person. The spray seems just fine on mine. I would very much like to pain the base black or metallic black. But yes, they are a steal for this price!

I will post a video soon, as soon as it's done processing. YouTube is being finicky.

Here we go! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9u7cGcr_gA

Hey, I am glad to hear you picked one of these up, they are at an amazing price!! I personally picked up two. First I would like to say these were sold at a store called The Earth Store, that store ended up going out of business, I also heard these were sold at Spencer gifts. The company that made these apparently sold off their remaining stock to a buyer some twenty years ago and were discovered in a abandoned storage facility. Cindy and her husband do a lot of mass purchases and were shocked when they came across this find. She is familiar with the Fantasia lamps and can appreciate the true beauty and mesmerizing effect these fiber optic lamps have. 

The Lamp Caretaker said:

As promised here's my update on the two Millennium 2000 lamps I purchased. I received two matching lamps and the fibers are both fine.  Long enough that they nearly touch the surface when the lamp spins. When you click the lamp on it goes clockwise until you turn off and when you turn it back on it spins the opposite direction.  Yes- the lamps does speed up for a couple of seconds and resumes normal rotation as part of it's charm. The lamp does this is to create a firework finale effect when the lamps rotating.   I took the time to separate most of the fibers which took a little time but well worth the effort.  These lamps have a lot of ultra thin fibers so treat them gently but know they do not break like the vintage glass fibers. If I see a couple of fibers together I gently run my fingers through them so they separate and the more I do this the more the lamp ROCKS. I'm very pleased with my purchases.  The color wheel as mentioned prior is fantastic. It's clear that it was made to celebrate the year 2000. I'm guessing this is why you only saw them available in 1999 until the New Year 2000.  A true collectible for any fiber optic lamp collector.  I'm wondering if the Seller purchased a whole palette of them or something and would love to hear the back story of how she attained so many.  I'm guessing they did not have enough time to get them to market before the new millennium rang in and by the time they did it was too late and only a few sold before they were pulled from shelves to welcome new 2001 merchandise.  

SO happy to have seen this thread! I ordered a few days ago and got mine today too! Joe, I will let Cindy know you sent me in the feedback section. The box looks new. Loved her little comment tip card she put in the box too! The brightness and color saturation at the end of each fiber is amazing. I did see a little static on the low fibers clinging, wrapping around base as spin but I lifted up the spray turned upside down, and shook it gently and swirled for several seconds. That seemed to fix it after operating 30 minutes I don't see any more static. I had a Taiwan UFO lamp with these types of fibers from around mid 90s this takes me back to being 16 again (no worries in life LOL). This is much bigger and rotates beautifully. What a great value it has, I will enjoy this for many years.

The size with the spray is about 19.5" high and 20" wide.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service