Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Hi all. Does anyone here have any tricks or methods to break up and prevent the large column of wax that just sits going from the bottom to the top? It's a Grande.

Views: 162

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi. For many lava fans this is like an optimum flow and quite desirable, for others, bubbling or blobbing is preferred as there is far more variation of shape and interest too. I personally like both but don’t think I would like constant ‘snaking’ only.

How to break the snake? Could be down to bulb wattage or even room temperature. Bubble formation is more likely at higher temperatures. Try checking the bulb wattage or the temperature of the room and you should see positive results.

Thanks for the reply. I do however prefer the constant up and down motion of large blobs instead of the column that just sits there. My bulb is the standard 100w reflector for Grandes and the room temperature is at a solid 72. So I'm not sure why I always get this. It only happens once the lamp has been on for a decent amount of time. 

Modulo '70 said:

Hi. For many lava fans this is like an optimum flow and quite desirable, for others, bubbling or blobbing is preferred as there is far more variation of shape and interest too. I personally like both but don’t think I would like constant ‘snaking’ only.

How to break the snake? Could be down to bulb wattage or even room temperature. Bubble formation is more likely at higher temperatures. Try checking the bulb wattage or the temperature of the room and you should see positive results.

I agree.  This column can be cool but not always.  If I were you, before tinkering with the "solution," I'd honestly take it to another room.  Upstairs, downstairs, in the celler, in the garage.  Get it going there.  See what happens.  You could always leave it on and then turn it off and then turn it on to "shake" things up.  Lava lamps do funny things.  Sometimes it the pressure outside.  kind of like when it's the best time to fish.  Good Luck.

Thank you sir. I will try these things!

Clark Jester said:

I agree.  This column can be cool but not always.  If I were you, before tinkering with the "solution," I'd honestly take it to another room.  Upstairs, downstairs, in the celler, in the garage.  Get it going there.  See what happens.  You could always leave it on and then turn it off and then turn it on to "shake" things up.  Lava lamps do funny things.  Sometimes it the pressure outside.  kind of like when it's the best time to fish.  Good Luck.

there's another trick, if the above ideas don't play (though I reckon they've covered it, it does sound/look like a heat issue)

I'm no good at MF mix adjustment, so have learnt to play with bulbs and dimmers...you could fit an inline dimmer with a slightly more powerful bulb and experiment with fine-tuning

the UK Crestworth/Mathmos Lunars - pretty similar in size to your Grandes - came with a good quality Relco inline dimmer, (don't know about the new IOs), and it is a crucial part of the lamp's operation

When I hear "shake it up". Fear goes down my entire body. You mustn't say things like that on a lava lamp website. Its like running long nails down a old style blackboard. 

If anyone shook one of my lava lamps I'd kill em. 

Only joking. Enjoy your lamps! 

Jezza said:

When I hear "shake it up". Fear goes down my entire body. You mustn't say things like that on a lava lamp website. Its like running long nails down a old style blackboard. 

If anyone shook one of my lava lamps I'd kill em. 

Only joking. Enjoy your lamps! 

Image result for the cars shake it up

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2021   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service